Any update or change in information related to your Social Security number always requires you to fill-up the SS-5 form, also known as the “Application for Social Security Card”. Whether you decide to change your name because of marriage or a divorce, correct a mistake in your Social Security records, get a replacement card, or anything else related, the SS-5 form is always the first step in the entire process – application-filing-service.com/socialsecuritycard/form-ss-5/.
The SS-5 form comprises a single page with 18 items to be filled. These items embody all the information required to complete your application. These items are relatively easy to fill so completing the form quickly should be a breeze.
Filling-Up the Form and Some Helpful Tips
Here are the steps and some helpful tips for filling up the SS-5 form quickly and efficiently:
1. Fill in your first, middle, and last names. You need to fill in your complete name on the form. Write your first, full middle, and last name. If you changed your name prior to the filing, you will have to state your previous name. To make sure that you avoid mistakes in the spelling of your name, bring your birth certificate as a reference.
2. Provide your previous SS number if you have one. If you have a previous Social Security number, you will have to state it in item 2. It is best to bring your old ID with you if you have not memorized your previous number.
3. Enter the complete details of your birthdate and birthplace. In items 3 and 4, you will be required to fill in the details of your birthplace and your birthdate, respectively.
4. Check your citizenship. In item 5, you will be asked to check the box which corresponds to your citizenship: U.S. citizen, legal alien viable for work, or legal alien not viable forwork. If you happen to belong to the latter two, you will be asked to provide supporting documents. It is best to contact the SSA first for the required documents.
5. Items 6 and 7 are optional. You will not be required to fill-up items 6 and 7 in the form because it is mostly for statistical analysis only. However, if you do, one of the tips forfilling up the SS-5 form quickly for this part is to choose the closest description to your ethnicity if you cannot find the specific detail.
6. Gender. You will be asked to fill in your gender, whether you are male or female. You must check the appropriate box.
7. Parents’ details. In items 9 and 10 you will be required to fill in the Social Security details of your biological parents. If you don’t have access to the information, you can check “unknown”. If you are filing on behalf of a minor, it is best to have a copy of the required details ready to save time.
8. Previous Social Security card. For item 11, you will be asked to check either the box for YES, NO, or DON’T KNOW for whether you have been issued an SS card before. If you checked YES, you will proceed to items 12 and 13 where you will have to provide details related to your previous card. If NO, skip to item 14.
9. Date today. Item 14 is the easiest. Simply enter the current date. It is best to ask for the current date before you start filling in the form to cut back on the time you will spend asking people.
10. Contact details. For items 15 and 16, you will be asked to provide your phone number and mailing address, respectively. If you have multiple phone numbers, write the one you use the most where a representative from the SSA can easily reach you. For your mailing address, make sure to provide a verified address since your card will be sent there.
11. Signature. Item 17 houses your signature. Make sure it is as legible and clear as possible.
12. Relation to the filer. In item 18, you will be asked to check whether you are filling the form for yourself or not. If you are filling for yourself, check “self”, if not, check the box with the appropriate relationship.
If you want to finish filling up the SS-5 form as quickly as possible, prepare all the necessary requirements, and adhere to all the instructions strictly to avoid repeating the process because of mistakes. Also, it is a great tip to come to the office early.